What is Sunraysia Information & Referral Service Inc.?
Sunraysia Information & Referral Service Inc. (SIRS) opened its door as Sunraysia Citizens Advice Bureau in Mildura in 1972. SIRS is run solely by volunteers and has been assisting patients travelling out of the district to see a Medical Specialist since 1999. To date SIRS has assisted over 11,000 patients to travel to see these Specialists
- We are an independent body.
- We maintain a confidential and unbiased service
- We listen if you wish to discuss a problem
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRAVEL
Financial assistance can be provided for patients travelling more than 100 kms from home to see a medical specialist
An appointment MUST be made and certain criteria met.
You must bring with you to your appointment the following:-
- Victorian Patient Transport Assistance Scheme (VPTAS) Form with patient details completed
- The letter of appointment from your Specialist
- Your Pension/Health Care card
- If you need an escort, an Escort Form is available from SIRS office This must be filled in by your local GP
- $30 ($50 if you need an escort to travel with you) of which $10 will be refunded when the completed VPTAS form is returned to SIRS immediately after you travel
If you do not have a concession there is an annual VPTAS fee of $100 that needs to be paid to SIRS at your appointment.
WHO CAN WE ASSIST?
SIRS volunteers can assist members of the public who need to travel out of the district to see a medical specialist not available locally. The medical specialist covered by the service are those that qualify under the Victorian Patient Transport Assistance scheme (VPTAS) run by the Department of Health & Human Services.
To check whether your specialist is covered by the scheme please click here
Volunteers receive training and work in areas that suit their skills and abilities. They are covered by Insurance
WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR US?
- Become a Volunteer
- Make a donation
- Become a sponsor of SIRS. SIRS is run by volunteers and is financed by donations from the Community